The township of Leinster lies some 370km north of Kalgoorlie. Large scale mining in the area began in 1897 when the East Murchison United Company (EMU) began working on alluvial gold deposit in the vicinity of what is now the Emu gold operations. WMC Resources Ltd purchased the operation in 1989, renamed it ‘Leinster Nickel Operations’ and began recommissioning the operation. Leinster was first established in 1976 as a company town supporting the nickel mine. It takes the name from nearby Leinster Downs Station. Prior to mining activities, the land was pastoral. Large stations in the area include Leinster Downs, Pinnacles, Yakabindie, Yeelirrie and Weebo to name a few. Residents refer to Leinster as either the ‘home of the wedge tail eagle’ or ‘the jewel of the northern goldfields’. Leinster supports a vibrant lifestyle and a population of 1400 people.
The active sporting population is well catered for with an olympic-size swimming pool, health and fitness centre, two air conditioned squash courts, basketball, netball and tennis courts, a grassed oval and a magnificent air conditioned indoor sporting stadium. An 18-hole golf course and race course complete the picture.
The town consists of 283 houses, a caravan park, some 800 single persons quarters and motel services supporting a population of 400 residents and 700 ‘fly-in-fly-out’ personnel. All accommodation has been designed to ensure that comfort is maintained. Air conditioning is a standard feature. Shopping facilities at Leinster include a comprehensive supermarket, beautician, service station and a coffee shop.
In addition to a doctor, the town has a nursing post which is operational seven days a week. Should emergencies arise, they can be dealt with by the St John’s Ambulance sub-centre, operated by volunteers on call 24 hours a day.
When Leinster was built, special consideration was given to the natural environment. Built on a sand dune, local and native plants flourish with big stands of shady gum trees giving the town an oasis impression.
The Leinster Community School caters for approximately 100 children, kindergarten to Year 6 with a small cohort of secondary students studying through courses offered and supported by the School of Isolated and Distance Education (SIDE).